Cupping Therapy is another modality of Traditional Chinese Medicine. It is an ancient healing art using cups to create suction pressure on the skin.
The suction pressure creates a number of changes in the area to promote healing:
- It draws more blood to the area and therefore more nutrients
- Draws up the skin, underlying connective tissue and muscles creating movement & space between the tissue layers & increased blood flow
- Promotes lymphatic circulation to remove toxins which lie inbetween tissues and cells from cellular activities
- Opens the meridian channels in the body (energy pathways)
Cupping is safe to use on people of all ages from children to elderly. Cup placement is according to the principles of TCM using meridian lines and Acupuncture points to promote wellbeing.
The inside of the cups are heated to create the vacuum | suction effect on the skin and underlying soft tissues. The cups are placed over Acupuncture points or points of tissue or muscular restriction and may be removed and reapplied several times by your Practitioner. Your Practitioner may also provide 'dynamic cupping' whereby the cups are moved across the skin while still suctioning, this is very good at increasing blood flow to the area treated and reducing tissue tightness - it may also be used to breakdown stubborn pockets of fat under the skin.
Cupping does leave red marks on areas treated and is expected in this treatment. The depth of colour will depend on the length of time a cup is placed on a point and the level of stagnation in the tissues. Please discuss with your Practitioner prior to beginning treatment.
- Especially good for lung disorders, such as asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, coughing, shortness of breath, common cold, flu
- Eases muscle pain, spasm & stiffness
- Abdominal complaints, such as sluggish colon, menstrual cramps
- Gastrointestinal upset
- Reduces varicose veins
- Increases blood flow & lymphatic drainage
- Reduces swelling and inflammation
- Stimulates your immune system to function naturally